All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrancois Truffaut (1932-1984), French motion-picture director and critic, is a leader of the uvelle vague movement of film-makers who rejected the slick, impersonal style of studio filmmaking for a more personal approach, in which the director has sole creative authority and is recognized as the author of a film. Truffaut was born in Paris. After a troubled childhood, he left school at the age of 14. Through his passion for film, he met Andre Bazin, Founder and Co-editor of the influential journal Cahiers du Cinema, for which Truffaut began writing. Throughout his filmmaking career, which began in the late 1950s, Truffaut wrote or co-authored - as well as directing - all of his feature films, which combine comedy, pathos, suspense and melodrama. He was strongly influenced by French film-makers Jean Vigo and Jean Reir and by English-American director Alfred Hitchcock. In Truffaut at Work, film expert Carole Le Berre looks beyond the usual anecdotal sources about Truffaut to reveal an inspired and inspiring portrait of one of the most influential directors of the twentieth century. She draws heavily from Truffaut's personal papers and the archives of the film studios he worked for: the book details shooting schedules, budgets, memos, letters, storyboards and transcripts of discussions with key collaborators. The result is a major reassessment of the working methods of this groundbreaking director.
- Author BiographyCarole Le Berre is a film critic and a writer, and the artistic adviser to the film department of the major French television channel TF1. She is the author of a monograph of Francois Truffaut (1994) and a critical work on Jules and Jim (1997).
- Author(s)Carole le Berre
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/09/2005
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content Note385photos(268 colour )
- Weight1855 g
- Width230 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.