All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionTurkish Muse: Views and Reviews, 1960s-1990s collects Talat S. Halman's book reviews written in English and, read chrologically, provides a unique perspective on the development of Turkish literature and criticism during the formative and later years of the Turkish Republic. The new genres adopted from Europe and, to a lesser extent, from the United States include the vel, the short story, the stage play, and the essay. The reviews collected in this volume reflect the way in which these genres developed and matured within their new milieu of Turkish letters. Establishing each book in its literary, social, and cultural Turkish context, Halman then addresses the work's more international or universal importance. Written over a period of four decades, these reviews illuminate the careers of many writers from their early work to their rise as leading Turkish poets, velists, and dramatists - Ilhan Berk, Melih Cevdet Anday, Gungor Dilmen, Fazil Husnu Daglarca, and Yasar Kemal, to name just a few. More recent reviews discuss the work of such important figures as Hilmi Yavuz and Orhan Pamuk.
- Author BiographyTalat Halman is a leading translator of Turkish literature into English. Before establishing the Department of Turkish Literature at Bilkent University, Ankara, he taught at Columbia University, Princeton University, the University of Pennsylvania, and New York University. Halman is author and editor of more than sixty books, including Contemporary Turkish Literature, Modern Turkish Drama, and Suleyman the Magnificent Poet. He is editor of the Journal of Turkish Literature. Jayne L. Warner is director of research at the Institute for Aegean Prehistory in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- Author(s)Talat Sait Halman
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Weight771 g
- Width165 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byJayne L. Warner
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.