All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionStandard English has evolved and developed in many ways over the past hundred years. From pronunciation to vocabulary to grammar, this concise survey clearly documents the recent history of Standard English. Drawing on large amounts of authentic corpus data, it shows how we can track ongoing changes to the language, and demonstrates each of the major developments that have taken place. As well as taking insights from a vast body of literature, Christian Mair presents the results of his own cutting-edge research, revealing some important changes which have t been previously documented. He concludes by exploring how social and cultural factors, such as the American influence on British English, have affected Standard English in recent times. Authoritative, informative and engaging, this book will be essential reading for anyone interested in language change in progress, particularly those working on English, and will be welcomed by students, researchers and language teachers alike.
- Author BiographyChristian Mair is Chair in English Linguistics at the Universitat Freiburg, Germany.
- Author(s)Christian Mair
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/10/2006
- Series TitleStudies in English Language
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 maps 71 tables
- Weight560 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Series Edited byMerja Kyt,Bas Aarts,John Algeo,Susan Fitzmaurice,Richard Hogg,Charles F. Meyer
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.