All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionIn the late 1920's \u0022streamlined\u0022 became the term businessmen used to describe new models that were easier to produce as well as those that met with less sales resistance than older products. Illustrating this concept with streamlined objects from soup cans to the Chrysler building, Jeffrey Meikle's classic book, Twentieth Century Limited, celebrates the birth of the industrial design profession from 1925-1939. This second edition includes a new preface and improved photographic reproduction. Commercial artists who answered the call of business -- Walter Dorwin Teague, Norman Bel Geddes, Henry Dreyfuss, and Raymond Loewy the best kwn among them -- were pioneers who envisioned a coherent machine-age environment in which life would be clean, efficient, and harmonious. Working with new materials -- chrome, stainless steel, Bakelite plastic -- they created a streamlined expressionist style which reflected the desire of the Depression-era public for a frictionless, static society. Appliances such as Loewy's Coldspot refrigerator \u0022set a new standard\u0022 (according to the advertisements), and its usefulness extended to the way it improved the middle-class consumer's taste for sleek new products. Profusely illustrated with 150 photographs, Twentieth Century Limited pays tribute to the industrial designers and the way they transformed American culture; a generation after its initial publication, this book remains the best introduction to the subject. The new edition will fascinate anyone interested in art, architecture, techlogy, and American culture of the 1930's.
- Author BiographyJeffrey Meikle is Professor of American Studies and Art History and Chair of the Department of American Studies at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Author(s)Jeffrey L. Meikle
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication21/03/2001
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitleAmerican Civilization
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Content Note149 illustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.