Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
About this product
- DescriptionThe book of poetry, which I have entitled: Twilight of Thoughts is a selection of Stefan Munteanu's poetry of the exile. It contains, so far, 122 poems which I have translated into English. I also have 99 illustrations, part of the graphic art of Stefan Munteanu. I want to represent the artist from the point of view of two arts he practiced and expressed himself through. His poetry expresses his deep feelings for his wife, family, native culture, life with all its challenges (behind the iron curtain), the uprooting, a self-exile from the Communist regime he wanted to escape, the travel across the world to find the dreams of his youth (the American West), and the slow descent into his kind of inner withdrawal due to the difficulties he encountered in trying to grow new roots in Los Angeles, California. His artistic expression is unique, but his observations and feelings, though personal, speak to all. This collection of poems as well as his illustrations offer a special intellectual experience for both natives and immigrants in any part of the world. The book contributes to a better understanding of life on our planet where movement of people, coming together of cultures, values, ways of communication and essential contributions should never be igred as they make the matter of our lives in a global world. Sensitivity to the beauty of life, the reflection of a meaningful passing through it, the making of dignified though painful decisions assist varied people in self-examination, in understanding and valuing each moment they have among fellow humans on earth, even if on such a journey some may pay the utmost price. The courage to say what you believe to be true, to allow your thoughts and actions to materialize in art that definitely enriches others' lives is a gift that has to be shared. That is why I spent three years in conscientious efforts to render in English the uniqueness of Stefan Munteanu's poetry. I am sure that people who understand that literature is t just a companion to our lives but a translator of our sometimes inexpressible feelings will be happy to have this book. I am sure the academic world anywhere will savor it, the laborer who crossed the world for a free and dignified life will recognize and relive his/her own experience with every line, or will understand what happened behind the iron curtain and thus feel happier that he/she did t have to pass through it. Understanding each other and making room for different forms of art and expression is our hope for a peaceful, cooperative, progressive and unified society of the future. I have big hopes for this book of translation, and look forward to making it the favored companion for many English readers. It is my joy to open this door of communication for the Anglophone speakers into the feelings and perceptions of a Romanian artist.
- Author(s)Stefan Munteanu
- Date of Publication13/03/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight535 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.