All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.66Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionTwo Medieval Toll Registers from Tarascon presents an edition, translation, and discussion of two vernacular toll registers from fourteenth and fifteenth-century Provence. These two registers are a valuable new source for the ecomic, linguistic, and transportation history of medieval France, offering a window onto the commercial life of Tarascon, a fortified town on the east bank of the Rhone between Avign and Arles. William D. Paden discusses the developing fiscal policy of the counts of Provence, for whom the tolls were collected, and the practice and vocabulary of medieval toll-keeping. An afterword considers the toll registers in relation to the poetry of troubadours, arguing that the realism of the registers and the idealism of troubadour poetry overlapped in the world of medieval Tarascon.
- Author BiographyWilliam D. Paden is a professor emeritus of French in the Department of French and Italian at Northwestern University.
- Author(s)William D. Paden
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication11/04/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleMedieval Academy Books
- Series Part/Volume Number115
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note3, 3 maps
- Weight600 g
- Width164 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.