All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
About this product
- DescriptionWhen this work was published, its original author had been dead for fifty years. As the title page explains, the work of Joseph Ames (1687-1759) was considerably augmented by William Herbert (1718-95), and then 'greatly enlarged, with copious tes, and illustrated with appropriate engravings' by Thomas Frognall Dibdin (1776-1847), several of whose other works are also reissued in this series. Ames' history of printing, based on his own collection, was published in 1749, as an aid to booksellers in identifying old works (and modern forgeries). Herbert, a printseller and bibliophile, acquired Ames' own interleaved copy of the work and intended to enlarge it, but died having completed only three of six proposed volumes. His working copies then passed to Dibdin, who eventually published this four-volume edition between 1810 and 1819. Volume 4 considers the lives and work of printers from Reyld Wolfe to Thomas Hacket.
- Author(s)Joseph Ames
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication26/07/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - History of Printing, Publishing and Libraries
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note23 b/w illus.
- Weight1510 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byThomas Frognall Dibdin,William Herbert
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.