All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUN Contributions to Development Thinking and Practice is at once a history of the ideas and realities of international development, from the classical ecomists to the recent emphasis on human rights, and a history of the UN's role in shaping and implementing development paradigms over the last half century. The authors, all prominent in the field of development studies, argue that the UN's founding document, the UN Charter, is infused with the human values and human concerns that are at the center of the UN's thinking on ecomic and human development today. In the intervening period, the authors show how the UN's approach to development evolved from mainstream areas of ecomic development to include issues of employment, poverty reduction, fairer distribution of the benefits of growth, equality of men and women, child development, social justice, and environmental sustainability.
- Author BiographyRichard Jolly is Senior Research Fellow at the CUNY Graduate Center, where he is co-director of the United Nations Intellectual History Project. Louis Emmerij is Senior Research Fellow at the CUNY Graduate Center, where he is co-director of the United Nations Intellectual History Project. Dharam Ghai is Advisor to the International Labour Organization. Frederic Lapeyre is Professor at the Institute of Development Studies, Catholic University of Louvain, and a member of the United Nations Intellectual History Project.
- Author(s)Dharam P. Ghai,Frederic Lapeyre,Louis Emmerij,Richard Jolly
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication18/06/2004
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleUnited Nations Intellectual History Project
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note4 figures, 1 index
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.