All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEnvy, irritation, paraia - in contrast to powerful and dynamic negative emotions like anger, these n-cathartic states of feeling are associated with situations in which action is blocked or suspended. In her examination of the cultural forms to which these affects give rise, Sianne Ngai suggests that these mir and more politically ambiguous feelings become all the more suited for diagsing the character of late modernity. Along with her inquiry into the aesthetics of unprestigious negative affects such as irritation, envy, and disgust, Ngai examines a racialised affect called animatedness , and a paradoxical synthesis of shock and boredom called stuplimity . She explores the politically equivocal work of these affective concepts in the cultural contexts where they seem most at stake, from academic feminist debates to the Harlem Renaissance, from late-20th Century American poetry to Hollywood film and network television. Through readings of Herman Melville, Nella Larsen, Sigmund Freud, Alfred Hitchcock, Gertrude Stein, Ralph Ellison, John Yau, and Bruce Andrews, among others, Ngai shows how art turns to ugly feelings as a site for interrogating its own suspended agency in the affirmative culture of a market society, where art is tolerated as essentially unthreatening.
- Author BiographySianne Ngai is Professor of English at Stanford University.
- Author(s)Sianne Ngai
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2007
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note36 halftones
- Weight432 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.18Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.