All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionAs the first of its kind, the present study of Ukrainian science fiction encompasses both the historical and thematic features of this genre. It contains a discussion of the representative and the most imaginative Ukrainian science fiction works published by writers residing in Ukraine and abroad. The initial part of the study focuses on the historical legacy of Ukrainian science fiction, with a special emphasis on the authors of the formative period and the emigre authors who wrote after the Second World War, but were totally igred during the Soviet political hegemony. It is followed by an analysis of the impact of Soviet ideology on the science fiction that prevailed in Ukraine from the 1920s to the late 1950s. With the relaxation of political controls over literature, publications of Ukrainian science fiction after the 1960s were so numerous that it was t feasible to obtain and to examine all these items. However, the vels and stories that were utilized in this study do provide a representative sample of the themes that comprise the main thrust of Ukrainian science fiction from the early 1960s to the end of the 20th century.
- Author BiographyWalter Smyrniw is Professor Emeritus at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. He published numerous articles on nineteenth and twentieth-century Russian and Ukrainian literature in North American and European Slavic journals. He is the author of Ukrainian Prose Manual and Turgenev's Early Works and co-editor of Studies in Honour of Louis Shein and Socialist Realism Revisited.
- Author(s)Walter Smyrniw
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication27/09/2013
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight580 g
- Width155 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.