All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionHow can teachers learn to teach rich, academically rigorous multicultural curricula under current standardization constraints? In her new book, Christine Sleeter offers a much-needed framework to help teachers take on this challenge. By contrasting key curricular assumptions with those of multicultural education, she reveals the aspects they share as well as the conceptual and political differences between them. Sleeter makes a strong case for what teachers can do to un-standardize kwledge in their own classrooms, while working toward high standards of academic achievement. This book includes: detailed portraits of activist teachers committed to multicultural education, including the constraints and challenges they face; guidance for teachers who want to develop their classroom practice, illustrating the possibilities and spaces teachers have within a standardized curriculum; and a field-tested conceptual framework that elaborates on the following elements of curriculum design: ideology, enduring ideas, democratized assessment, transformative intellectual kwledge, students and their communities, intellectual challenge, and curriculum resources.
- Author BiographyChristine E. Sleeter is Professor Emerita in the College of Professional Studies at California State University, Monterey Bay. She is the author of Culture, Difference, and Power.
- Author(s)Christine E. Sleeter
- PublisherTeachers' College Press
- Date of Publication11/11/2005
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleMulticultural Education Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 23
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTeachers' College Press
- Out-of-print date12/11/2014
- Content NoteIllustrations
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.