All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.41Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $56.56Trending at AU $60.86
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
About this product
- DescriptionUnbeaten Tracks in Japan was written by Isabella L. Bird, one of the most famous British travelers of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Her destinations included Canada, the United States (the Rocky Mountains), Hawaii, Japan, Korea, Persia, Kurdistan, China, and Morocco. She is particularly kwn for her intrepidness and lively writing style. Written in the form of letters to her sister, Unbeaten Tracks in Japan is viewed as a classic of travel writing and a valuable account of little documented areas of Japan in that era. Rather than stay in the Tokyo region or travel south to Kyoto, the mecca of Japanese civilization, she chose to travel rth through the most arduously mountaius areas and eventually visit the island of Hokkaido, where lived the indigeus Ainu. Unbeaten Tracks in Japan provides a fascinating firsthand account of the Japanese countryside and its inhabitants, detailed descriptions of nature, and interesting observations about the customs and characteristics of both the Japanese and Ainu people. Isabella Bird deliberately chose to avoid the main routes as she traveled rthward, and for the villagers she meets along the way, she is the first foreigner that they have ever laid their eyes upon. The reaction that she provokes is eugh to make you laugh as Isabella does a good job of describing the scene before her eyes while travelling the Unbeaten Tracks in Japan.
- Author BiographyIsabella Lucy Bird (1831-1904) was a nineteenth-century English traveller, writer, and a natural historian. One of the most famous British travelers of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Bird's destinations included Canada, the United States (the Rocky Mountains), Hawaii, Japan, Korea, Persia, Kurdistan, China, and Morocco.
- Author(s)Isabella L Bird
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication23/11/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight281 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.