All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMore people than ever before see themselves as addicted to, or recovering from, addiction, whether it be alcohol or drugs, prescription meds, sex, gambling, porn, or the internet. But despite the unprecedented attention, our understanding of addiction is trapped in unfounded 20th century ideas, addiction as a crime or as brain disease, and in equally outdated treatment. Challenging both the idea of the addict's broken brain and the tion of a simple addictive personality, Unbroken Brain offers a radical and ground-breaking new perspective, arguing that addictions are learning disorders and shows how seeing the condition this way can untangle our current debates over treatment, prevention and policy. Like autistic traits, addictive behaviours fall on a spectrum and they can be a rmal response to an extreme situation. By illustrating what addiction is, and is t, the book illustrates how timing, history, family, peers, culture and chemicals come together to create both illness and recovery and why there is addictive personality or single treatment that works for all. Combining Maia's personal story with a distillation of more than 25 years of science and research, Unbroken Brain provides a paradigm-shifting approach to thinking about addiction.
- Author BiographyNew York Times Bestselling author MAIA SZALAVITZ is one of the premier American journalists covering addiction and drugs. She is co-author of Born for Love and The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog, both with Dr. Bruce D. Perry. Her book, Help at Any Cost is the first book-length expose of the tough love business that dominates addiction treatment. She writes for TIME.com, the New York Times, New York Magazine, VICE, Scientific American, Elle, Psychology Today, and The Guardian among others.
- Author(s)Maia Szalavitz
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication10/05/2016
- SubjectSelf Improvement: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Weight544 g
- Width162 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.