Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.72Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- DescriptionUnder The Red Blanket is a memoir of a Swedish-American family living in the remote area of North East India among headhunting tribes. The book opens with the father of Bea, Bengt Anderson, immigrating to the United States from Sweden on the advice of his aunt Hedda, who worked as a cook for the Roosevelt family at their home in Hyde Park, New York. He later moved to Minnesota where he met and married Edna Michaelson. Soon after, they left the US to spend twenty-nine years living in India. The story relates the trials and tribulations of life in the jungle. It includes stories of life under the British Raj, World War II and the Japanese invasion into India. The book also describes the horrors witnessed during the separation of India and Pakistan in 1947.
- Author BiographyThe parents of Bea Anderson Swedien, Bengt and Edna Anderson lived in India from 1926 to 1955, returning to the United States every seven years on furlough. While on furlough in 1934, Beatrice was born. She was the youngest of five siblings. The Anderson family returned to India in the spring of 1935. In 1942, for their next furlough, passage was secured on an American troopship, the USS Wakefield. Two days out of New York the ship was under attack by a German submarine. Terrifying though this was, the ship made it safely into Brooklyn Navy Yard. A year later, due to the war, the return trip to India took five months. Living in the remote jungles of Nagaland which is on the border of Burma, she was home schooled until she was twelve years old, at which time she was sent to boarding school in Mussoorie, which is located in the foothills of the Himalayas. In 1950 Bea returned to the US. In 1953 she married Bruce Swedien, a successful music-recording engineer, producer, composer and author. They now live in Ocala, Florida.
- Author(s)Bea Anderson Swedien
- PublisherMX Publishing
- Date of Publication03/10/2011
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMX Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight236 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.