All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.24
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.47
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionThis work tells the personal stories of boys and girls who left home and enlisted at ages 11 to 16 in the U.S. military. Many had difficult home lives, some wanted adventure or a better future, but all wanted to serve their country. They missed high school proms, adolescent years with family and friends, homecoming parades, and graduation ceremonies. They served aboard ships and submarines, on airplanes, and at faraway bases and battlefields. Some became prisoners of war. Many performed above and beyond.<br><br>Jack Lucas earned the Medal of Hor at Iwo Jima six days past his 17th birthday. Calvin Graham enlisted at age 12 and was wounded at Guadalcanal aboard the USS South Dakota. His story was made into a movie starring Rick Schroder. A 13-year-old girl enlisted but was later discovered and sent home from Europe. General Eisenhower told her, Go home and grow up, little girl, we need more soldiers like you. One underage veteran became a senator, ather a goverr, still ather a Chief of Naval Operations. This book reveals why and how they got in, and what happened to them when they were there.
- Author Biography<strong>Allan C. Stover</strong> used a forged birth certificate to enlist in the U. S. Coast Guard at age 14 during the Korean War. He served aboard a ship and on isolated duty in the Pacific and aboard a gunboat in Florida. After his honourable discharge at age 18, he served as an Able Seaman on a Great Lakes ore carrier for a season. He is a registered professional engineer and a member of the authors Guild, Veterans of Underage Military Service, American Legion Post 347, and Korean War Veterans Post 169. He lives in The Villages, Florida.
- Author(s)Allan C. Stover
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note, black & white illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.