All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his book Understanding Dyslexia Denis Lawrence leaves stone unturned. This up-to-date book provides a comprehensive account of all aspects of dyslexia. The author's kwledge, experience and empathy is evident and the book can be recommended for all who want a simple account of the nature and consequences of dyslexia. Professor Maggie Swling, University of York, UK [This book is] a very readable introduction and guide covering theories of dyslexia and important areas of practical importance to those living with dyslexia or providing support for them. J.B.Thomas, Loughborough University, UK Dyslexia affects at least ten per cent of children and is the most common special educational need that teachers encounter. However, the characteristics of dyslexia can mean that it is often confused with other learning difficulties. Whether you are a teacher or a parent, this easy-to-read book helps you to understand what is meant by 'dyslexia', providing clear guidance for identifying the signs and outlining practical strategies for helping and supporting dyslexic children. As well as examining current popular definitions of dyslexia, the book offers a fresh definition, based on current research. Each chapter helps you to understand the unique challenges faced by dyslexic children in their learning of literacy skills and shows that the combined efforts of parents and teachers really can make a difference. Key features include: Coverage of the most popular methods used in the assessment of dyslexia Strategies and techniques to help dyslexic children develop their literacy skills at school and at home A focus on how to enhance and maintain self-esteem in dyslexic children A look at other specific learning difficulties that overlap or can be confused with dyslexia Discussion of society's attitude towards dyslexia and the need for further understanding of the conceptUnderstanding Dyslexia is valuable reading for trainee and practising teachers, SENCOs and parents.
- Author BiographyDenis Lawrence is an internationally acclaimed Educational and Psychological Consultant. He is an experienced teacher and was the Chief Psychologist with Somerset County Council, UK. Formerly a lecturer in educational psychology at what is now Edith Cowan University, Western Australia, he now divides his time between Australia and England where he conducts a private practice.
- Author(s)Denis Lawrence
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2009
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleUK Higher Education OUP Humanities & Social Sciences Education OUP
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight430 g
- Width54 mm
- Height85 mm
- Spine4 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.