All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $30.84Trending at AU $33.28
About this product
- DescriptionAssuming little or background kwledge and using original examples and exercises (with answers supplied), Understanding Phonetics provides you with an accessible introduction to the basics of phonetics and a comprehensive analysis of traditional phonetic theory - the articulation and physical characteristics of speech sounds. Examples from a wide range of languages are presented throughout using symbols of the International Phonetic Alphabet. To help you develop your skills in this alphabet, Understanding Phonetics includes ear-training exercises that are freely available online, along with audio files of authentic listening material, for you to download from www.routledge.com/cw/ashby. Understanding Phonetics outlines the production of consonants, vowels, phonation types, pitch and intonation, and aspects of connected speech. Reading through chapter by chapter, you will see your kwledge develop as you engage in the step-by-step phonetic study of a selected word. Understanding Phonetics is designed to be used t only as a class textbook but also for self-study. It can be read systematically or used for reference purposes.
- Author BiographyDR PATRICIA ASHBY is a Principal Lecturer in Phonetics at the University of Westminster and a National Teaching Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK.
- Author(s)Patricia Ashby
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2011
- Series TitleUnderstanding Language
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHodder Education
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.