All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding Social Psychology Across Cultures Second Edition starts by asking why social psychology needs a cross-cultural perspective. It then examines cultural differences and their origins, before addressing traditional social psychological themes cross-culturally, for example group processes, self and identity, intergroup relations. Themes of contemporary relevance including migration, ethnic conflict and climate change are also covered. Key features: * Presentation of concepts and theories made accessible to the reader using practical examples and everyday life experiences from diverse parts of the world * Biographical portraits of key researchers in the field * Coverage of the appropriate methods for conducting state-of-the-art cross-cultural research This textbook is appropriate for students of social and cross-cultural psychology. It will also interest practitioners wanting to understand the impact of culture on their fields of work, such as international relations, social policy, health promotion, ethnic relations and international business.
- Author BiographyPeter B. Smith was born near Colchester, UK, in 1937. and obtained his PhD from Cambridge University in 1962. After working at Leeds University, he joined the University of Sussex in 1966 and never found a good reason to leave. He is currently Emeritus Professor of Social Psychology. He has studied cross-cultural aspects of leadership, conformity and informal influence processes, as well as cultural differences in styles of communication. He is the author of eight books and more than 180 other publications. He is former president of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology, and has served as Editor of the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. Ronald Fischer was born near Leipzig in former East Germany in 1976, and completed his doctorate in cross-cultural psychology at the University of Sussex in 2002. He is currently Reader in Psychology at the Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. He has spent much of his adult life exploring remote corners of the world, carrying a laptop and camera. He has broad interests concerning the interplay between culture and human functioning in diverse ecological settings, tackling these big questions applying multivariate statistics and multilevel models. He has published more than 100 papers and book chapters, and is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. Vivian L. Vignoles was born near Rochester, UK, in 1973, and obtained his PhD in social psychology at the University of Surrey in 2000. He is currently Reader in Social Psychology at the University of Sussex. His principal research interests are in self and identity processes and cross-cultural psychology, especially understanding the interplay of cultural, contextual, and motivational influences on identity construction, and he is principal investigator of the Culture and Identity Research Network. He has published more than 30 journal articles and book chapters and one. Michael Harris Bond was born in Toronto, Canada in 1944, obtaining his PhD in social psychology from Stanford University in 1970. Working first at Kwansei Gakuin University in Japan, he next joined the Chinese University of Hong Kong, where he was Professor of Social Psychology for many years. He has contributed to many aspects of cross-cultural psychology, focusing particularly on Chinese social behavior, comparative studies of belief systems, and improvements in cross-cultural research methods. He has published more than 270 papers and books in the field. In 2009, he was appointed Chair Professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Author(s)Michael H. Bond,Peter B. Smith,Peter K. Smith,Ronald Fischer,Vivian L. Vignoles
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication08/08/2013
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight839 g
- Width186 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.02
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.85
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.