All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $105.99Trending at AU $107.61
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.04
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding and Responding to the Experience of Disability informs readers about current understandings of disability and ways of recognizing the needs that arise from the lived experience of impairment in schools. While most schools have clear procedures in place with respect to identifying children with special educational needs, the same is t true for disability. Moreover, research suggests that many schools have restricted understanding of this distinction, often equating disability to children with SEN and children with health conditions, thereby failing to recognize the pivotal role of impact. In this insightful text, Jill Porter argues that disability needs to be understood within the setting in which it is experienced, thereby recognizing that it is t a fixed attributable label, but one that is cultural, contextual and fluid. By providing a theoretical basis for understandings of disability around tions of impairment, experience and impact, the book combines three key components: * a conceptual understanding of disability - to provide a clear value driven framework for professional responses; * an empirical illustration of the development of materials to support an understanding of why the process of disability data collection cant simply be reduced to two questions on a form; * embedded illustrative case study material to provide exemplars of how the materials can be contextualized and used to make adjustments to enhance the participation of all children.
- Author BiographyJill Porter is Director of Research in the Department of Education at the University of Bath, UK.
- Author(s)Jill Porter
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/08/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, 31 black & white tables, 8 black & white line drawings
- Weight249 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.