All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a lucid and lively introduction to key concepts and developments in media and media studies. The new edition, with updated case studies and a good range of online reading, is a valuable resource for both students and lecturers. - Chindu Sreedharan, Bournemouth University Has expanded the possibilities of what a textbook can be. Incisive questions framed through accessible and detailed examples provide a platform for a wealth of different activities that engage readers in the critical study of media. - Dr Daniel Ashton, Bath Spa University Accessibly written and very well-structured, the book will be one of those you go back to time and time again throughout your studies. In addition it also offers that much-needed, little-found extra in a textbook: critical engagement with media and society. A joy for those of us teaching the subject. - Joke Hermes, University of Amsterdam How much of our media experience is shaped by the profit motive of media conglomerates? How much freedom and power do we have as members of an increasingly fragmented media audience? How do the media influence what we understand about friendship, globalization and even our own selves? This book teaches students how to ask critical questions of the media, and gives them the analytical tools to answer those questions. By gaining a rich understanding of how the media play a role in society, both in giving pleasures and creating power relationships, students are encouraged to become critical thinkers. Understanding the Media: * Teaches the theoretical foundations and key concepts students need to get started on their own media studies * Brings concepts to life with examples and case studies on everything from Harry Potter and Big Brother to the Occupy movement * Shows the 'how to' with guided exercises and improves essay writing with a guide to the research literature * Helps students take learning further with guided free online readings This is an essential guide to the how and why of understanding the media, perfect for students in media studies, sociology, cultural studies and communication studies. Companion Website w available! Visit www.sagepub.co.uk/devereux3e for a range of student and lecturer resources.
- Author BiographyDr. Eoin Devereux is Senior Lecturer in Sociology at University of Limerick and Adjunct Professor in Contemporary Culture at the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland. He is the author of the academic best-seller Understanding The Media now in its 3rd edition (SAGE, 2014), co-editor of David Bowie: Critical Perspectives (with Aileen Dillane and Martin J. Power, Routledge, 2015) and co-editor of Morrissey: Fandom, Representations and Identities (with Dillane and Power, Intellect, 2012). Eoin is a founding member of two research clusters at UL namely the 'Power, Discourse and Society Research Cluster' and the 'Popular Music and Popular Culture Research Cluster'. In 2014, he co-organised the Limerick City of Culture music legacy project The Pigtown Fling with sonic artist Dr. John Samuel Greenwood and Noel Hogan of The Cranberries. He was also recently selected by SAGE to present a series of short video lectures on a range of themes including the work of Stuart Hall; Fandom; Ideology and Media Representations of Poverty for their Media and Communications tutorials and case study videos. He tweets daily as @drdevereux and in his spare time DJ's, organises an event called Manchester Night, gardens and writes short fiction. His most recently published flash fiction story 'Mrs Flood' came second in the RTE Radio 1 '100 Words, 100 Books' competition and was published by O'Brien Press in 2014.
- Author(s)Eoin Devereux
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication10/12/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width186 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.