All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.12Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $17.64Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionUndesirable Practices examines both the intended and the unintended consequences of imperial feminism and British colonial interventions in undesirable cultural practices in rthern Ghana. Jessica Cammaert addresses the state management of social practices such as female circumcision, nudity, prostitution, and illicit adoption as well as the hesitation to impose severe punishments for the slave dealing of females, particularly female children. She examines the gendered power relations and colonial attitudes that targeted women and children spanning pre- and postcolonial periods, the early postindependence years, and post-Nkrumah policies. In particular, Cammaert examines the limits of the male colonial gaze and argues that the power lay t in the gaze itself but in the act of looking away, a calculated aversion of attention intended to maintain the tribal community and retain control over the movement, sexuality, and labor of women and children. With its examination of broader time periods and topics and its complex analytical arguments, Undesirable Practices makes a valuable contribution to literature in African studies, contemporary advocacy discourse, women and gender studies, and critical postcolonial studies.
- Author BiographyJessica Cammaert is an instructor in African history at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada.
- Author(s)Jessica Cammaert
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleExpanding Frontiers: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note1 map
- Weight603 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.