All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1999, South Korean films have dominated roughly 40 to 60 percent of the Korean domestic box-office, matching or even surpassing Hollywood films in popularity. Why is this, and how did it come about? In Unexpected Alliances, Young-a Park seeks to answer these questions by exploring the cultural and institutional roots of the Korean film industry's phemenal success in the context of Korea's political transition in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The book investigates the unprecedented interplay between independent filmmakers, the state, and the mainstream film industry under the post-authoritarian administrations of Kim Dae Jung (1998-2003) and Roh Moo Hyun (2003-2008), and shows how these alliances were critical in the making of today's Korean film industry. During South Korea's post-authoritarian reform era, independent filmmakers with activist backgrounds were able to mobilize and transform themselves into important players in state cultural institutions and in negotiations with the purveyors of capital. Instead of simply labeling the alliances selling out or co-optation, this book explores the new spaces, institutions, and conversations which emerged and shows how independent filmmakers played a key role in national protests against trade liberalization, actively contributing to the creation of the very idea of a Korean national cinema worthy of protection. Independent filmmakers changed t only the film institutions and policies but the ways in which people produce, consume, and think about film in South Korea.
- Author BiographyYoung-a Park is an Assistant Professor of the Asian Studies Program at University of Hawai'i at Manoa.
- Author(s)Young-a Park
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication05/11/2014
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight498 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine585 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.