Unholy Fury: The US Alliance and the Whitlam-Nixon Crisis by James Curran (Paperback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.99+ postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by megamia7
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the early 1970s, two titans of Australian and American politics, Prime Minister Gough Whitlam and President Richard Nixon, clashed over the end of the Vietnam war and the shape of a new Asia. A relationship that had endured the heights of the Cold War veered dangerously off course and seemed headed for destruction. Never before-or since-has the alliance sunk to such depths. Drawing on sensational new evidence from once top-secret American and Australian records, this book portrays the bitter clash between these two leaders and their competing visions of the world. As the Nixon White House went increasingly on the defensive in early 1973, reeling from the lethal drip of the Watergate revelations, the first Labor prime minister in twenty-three years looked to redefine ANZUS and Australia's global stance. It was a heady brew, and t one the Americans were used to. The result was a fractured alliance, and an American president enraged, seemingly hell bent on tearing apart the fabric of a treaty that had become the first principle of Australian foreign policy.
- Author BiographyJames Curran teaches history at Sydney University and is a Research Associate at the US Studies Centre. He is the author of Curtin's Empire, The Power of Speech- Australian Prime Ministers Defining the National Image-shortlisted for the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards and the NSW Premier's History Prize-and, with Stuart Ward, The Unknown Nation- Australia After Empire, shortlisted for the Prime Minister's Australian History Prize. He is a Fulbright Scholar and in 2013 was the Chair of Australian History at University College Dublin.
- Author(s)James Curran
- PublisherMelbourne University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationCarlton
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2015
- ImprintMelbourne University Press
- Content NoteColour photographs
- Weight538 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.