All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this timely and clearly written text, John Van Oudenaren traces how the original six-member common market evolved into the twenty-five-member European Union (EU) with its growing array of policy responsibilities. Providing an accessible overview of the institutions, laws, and policies of the Union, he chronicles the EU's emergence as a global ecomic power and its efforts to assert its political presence on the world stage. The author argues that the federalist aspiration to create a 'United States of Europe' has died but that the drive to union persists in other forms. In the coming years, the EU will be challenged by a daunting agenda that includes making a success of the 2004 enlargement, improving the lagging performance of the EU ecomy, ensuring the continued success of the euro, finalizing a European constitution, and reconciling the desires of the member states to protect elements of their sovereignty with the widespread goal of achieving a more cohesive and effective foreign and security policy. A new chapter deals specifically with the contentious EU-U.S. relationship and the efforts of policymakers on both sides of the Atlantic to build an effective partnership, twithstanding strains over trade, the Kyoto Protocol, the war in Iraq, and other divisive issues.
- Author BiographyJohn Van Oudenaren is chief of the European Division, Library of Congress, and adjunct professor, BMW Center for German and European Studies, School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University.
- Author(s)John Van Oudenaren
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication03/08/2004
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleEurope Today
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight898 g
- Width178 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.