All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionThe papers in this collection, drawn from the 34th Annual Conference of the British Association for Applied Lunguistics, reflect a number of different perspecitves within the field of applied linguistics at the start of the twenty-first century. While addressing the theme of unity and diversity, each paper prompts critical reflection on tensions within the descipline between stability and change, consensus and controversy, similiarity and variation. The interpretation of languge use is broad and varied, taking both macro- and micro-perspectives. Topics address range from issues of global communication in a world of shifting demographics and techlogical advances to analyses of specific contexts of interaction, both professional and personal. Contexts of language use frequently coincide with settings of language acquisition, both within and beyond the language classroom, and this opens up discussion of the focus, scope and appropriateness of research stances in applied linguistics and practices in language pedagogy.Furthermore, variation is considered from a number of social-cultural, gender-related, linguistic and discourse perspectives, calling into question termilogy, definitions and the nature of evidence at the heart of applied linguistics theory and practice. Kristyan Spelman Miller is a lecturer in Applied Linguistics in the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies at the University of Reading. Paul Thompson is a Research Fellow in the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies at the University of Reading.
- Author BiographyKristyan Spelman Miller is a lecturer in Applied Linguistics. Paul Thompson is a Research Fellow, both in the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies at the University of Reading.
- Author(s)Kristyan Spelman Miller,Paul Thompson
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/11/2005
- Series TitleBritish Studies in Applied Linguistics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight274 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.