All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionUniversities have been propelled into the center of the global political ecomy of kwledge production by a number of factors: mass education, academic capitalism, the globalization of kwledge, the democratization of communication in the era of the Internet, and the emergence of the kwledge and invation ecomy. The latest book in the International Studies in Higher Education series, Universities and the Public Sphere addresses the vital role of research universities as global public spheres, sites where public interaction, conversation and deliberation take place, where the nature of the State and private interests can be openly debated and contested. At a time of increased privatization, open markets, and government involvement in higher education, the book also addresses the challenges facing the university in its role as a global public sphere. In this volume, international contributors challenge prevalent views of the global marketplace to create a deeper understanding of higher education's role in kwledge creation and nation building. In nearly every national context the pressures of globalization, neo-liberal ecomic restructuring, and new managerial imperatives challenge traditional rms of automy, academic freedom, access and affordability. The authors in Universities and the Public Sphere argue that universities are uniquely suited to have transformative democratic potential as global public spheres.
- Author BiographyBrian Pusser is Associate Professor of Higher Education in the Centerafor the Study of Higher Education, Curry School of Education, University of Virginia. a Ken Kempner is Professor of Education and International Studies andaformer Dean of Social Sciences at Southern Oregon University. a Simon Marginson is Professor of Higher Education in the Centre for the Study of Higher Education at theaUniversity of Melbourne. Imanol Ordorika is a Professor at the Instituto de InvestigacionesaEconomicas at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/09/2011
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitleInternational Studies in Higher Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight498 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edited byBrian Pusser,Imanol Ordorika,Ken Kempner,Simon Marginson
- Format DetailsPaper over boards,Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.