All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnkwn Warrior, a story told in poetic form, tells of the war of a ubiquitous Tommy Atkins, who starts his adventure in the patriotic fervour of a recruitment office leading to the squalor and brutality of a war of attrition and concludes in the dignity of a tomb in Westminster Abbey. Whilst imaginary in thought, each poetic page attempts to lead the reader through many of the different aspects of that Great War. The poems are written as individual pieces but also as a continuance of the adventure which made many events memorable but by means conclusive. Later poems tell of the anguish of a mother and the death of a 'Tommy' who survived the war.
- Author BiographyBorn in 1937 in Woolwich, South London, Donald Cooper was privy to the horrors of the Second World War by virtue of living within easy reach of the Woolwich Arsenal before being evacuated to Yorkshire because of the London bombings. His father died two years after the war. At the age of fifteen he began his working life as a telegram boy in London's West End, but was called up for national service in 1955, signing up as a regular soldier. He completed twenty-two years' service in 1977, retiring with the rank of warrant officer first class. Donald started writing poetry in the latter part of his army career, and post British army he joined the Nottinghamshire Ambulance Service, 1977-1988, and then the Nottinghamshire Social Services, 1988-1994, as a social worker. In 1994 he had a book of poetry printed as an anthology. He retired from work in 1994 and developed an interest in the First World War, visiting France and Belgium many times; he combined his love of writing with this interest and completed his book, Unknown Warrior, in 2014.
- Author(s)Donald Cooper
- PublisherArthur H.Stockwell Ltd
- Date of Publication27/02/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationDevon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintArthur H.Stockwell Ltd
- Content Note16 black and white
- Weight248 g
- Width140 mm
- Height220 mm
- Illustrator(s)Graham Watson
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket,With printed dust jacket,Sewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.82
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.