All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
About this product
- DescriptionIt took 3000 miles and six million steps for a South African grandmother to become the first woman ever to run across America. She made history and fulfilled a dream. That crowning moment, however, did t come easy. By her own admission, she had personality, guts and backbone. Her rise from ?whispering hope with hope at all? to that triumphant finish proves once more that success is available to all who are willing to pay the price and will accept that ?there are limits other than those we impose on ourselves.? When she started her athletics career at the late age of 37, it set her free to become ?the greatest woman long distance runner there has ever been.? She set new records over distances supposedly impossible for her gender. Other women soon followed her example, inspired by her pluck and passion. And at 87 she is still running competitively. To her, age is but a state of mind: ?You're only old when you stop growing.? Her one overriding goal: to stay fit till her dying day, a day she wants to approach running.
- Author BiographyGillene Laney (nee Sneyd) is a retired journalist from South Africa who took up residence in America in 2008. She shares her life with husband and coauthor Dr David Laney, currently an astronomer at Western Kentucky University. Her career spans many years, during which she wrote for some of South Africa's leading newspapers and magazines, and edited corporate publications in the fields of finance and education. David earned a Ph.D. in physics and astronomy from Brigham Young University, then spent 26 years as a research astronomer and media liaison officer for the South African Astronomical Observatory in Cape Town before moving back to the U.S. They have no children, but find joy in their marriage and in personal interests: traveling, books, music and the arts.
- Author(s)David Laney,Gillene Laney
- Date of Publication06/09/2012
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationScotts Valley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.