All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.18
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $117.44
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.58
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $106.89
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $86.21
About this product
- DescriptionNotwithstanding the lack of substantial state aid for nearly one hundred years, the Roman Catholic Church in Australia was successful t only in maintaining but also in expanding an educational sector independent of state educational systems. Upholding the Faith is concerned with what was distinctive about education in Catholic schools in Australia during the period between 1922 and 1965. The background is the private nature of Catholic education, which resulted in great freedom for the Church at the level of school management and administration. The main focus, however, is on the fact that such freedom was sought and maintained, albeit at ermous financial and human expense, so the Church could shape the process of education in distinctive ways. Four features of this process are examined: schooling took place within an authoritarian framework; major emphasis was placed on religious instruction and on ensuring an all-pervasive religious atmosphere; particular gender roles were promoted; and a strong Irish influence permeated the curriculum.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Thomas A. O'Donoghue is Associate Professor in the Graduate School of Education at The University of Western Australia. He received his Ph.D. in history of education from The National University of Ireland. In addition to numerous articles published in international journals on the history of education and on curriculum, he is the author of The Catholic Church and the Secondary School Curriculum in Ireland, 1922-1965 (Peter Lang, 1999) and Bilingual Education in Ireland, 1904-1922, and co-author of Educational Restructuring: International Perspectives and Innovative School Principals and School Restructuring.
- Author(s)Thomas A. O'Donoghue
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/2001
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleHistory of Schools and Schooling
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 24
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Notetables
- Weight260 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine6 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.