All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.75Trending at AU $27.54
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.27
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.57
- AU $12.37Trending at AU $13.00
- AU $48.45Trending at AU $49.18
- AU $11.33Trending at AU $12.25
About this product
- DescriptionUnlike all the planets closer to the Sun, kwn since antiquity, the farthest reaches are discoveries of the modern world. Uranus was discovered in 1781; Neptune, 1846; Pluto, 1930; the Kuiper belt group of objects, 1992; and though the Oort cloud had been theorized since 1950, its first member was just found in 2004. The discovery of the outer planets made such an impact on mankind that they were immortalized in the names of the newly discovered elements: uranium, neptunium, and plutonium. In a single, informative reference, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and the Outer Solar System discusses what data there is on the distant gas planets and investigates theories about their formation and evolution. It also touches on the fact that Pluto and its moon Charon are part of a much larger population of icy and rocky bodies w kwn as the Kuiper belt and describes what is kwn about the Oort cloud, along with the reasoning that led to its theorization and the techlogy that has allowed its actual discovery. Perfect for those interested in understanding the science and history behind the exploration of these celestial bodies, this volume brings the mystery of the outer solar system to the forefront.
- Author BiographyLinda T. Elkins-Tanton, Ph.D., has a doctorate in geology and geophysics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She is an expert on volcanic processes in terrestrial planets, effects of meteorite impacts, early lunar evolution, and the connections between meteorite impacts, flood basalts, and global extinction events. She has been published in the journals Geology, Earth, and Planetary Science Letters; Geophysical Research Letters; and Geochimica et Cosmochimica.
- Author(s)Linda T. Elkins-Tanton
- PublisherFacts On File Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2006
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Maths, Science & Technical
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFacts On File Inc
- Out-of-print date16/04/2016
- Content Note18 black-&-white photographs & 30 to 40 line illustrations, index, tables & charts, glossary, further reading, 8-page, full-colour insert
- Weight630 g
- Width187 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.