All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $74.05Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $35.47Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $21.74
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.98
About this product
- DescriptionAs humans have come to dominate the earth, the ideal of studying and teaching ecology in pristine ecosystems has become impossible to achieve. Our planet is w a mosaic of ecosystems ranging from the relatively undisturbed to the completely built, with the majority of people living in urban environments. This accessible introduction to the principles of urban ecology provides students with the tools they need to understand these increasingly important urban ecosystems. It builds upon the themes of habitat modification and resource use to demonstrate how multiple ecological processes interact in cities and how human activity initiates chains of unpredictable unintended ecological consequences. Broad principles are supported throughout by detailed examples from around the world and a comprehensive list of readings from the primary literature. Questions, exercises and laboratories at the end of each chapter encourage discussion, hands-on study, active learning, and engagement with the world outside the classroom window.
- Author BiographyFrederick R. Adler is a professor in the Departments of Biology and Mathematics at the University of Utah. He has published research in a broad range of topics throughout mathematical biology, including biodiversity, population dynamics and spatial ecology. He was awarded the University of Utah's Distinguished Mentor Award in 2009. Colby J. Tanner is currently a visiting Research Fellow in the Department of Ecology and Evolution at the University of Lausanne. His work focuses on the interface between the local environment and the social aspects of animal behaviour.
- Author(s)Colby J. Tanner,Frederick R. Adler
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/04/2013
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note100 b/w illus. 89 colour illus.
- Weight730 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.