All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the beginning of his career, Peter Calthorpe has been a leading invator in sustainable building projects, sustainable development, and walkable communities. A leader in the New Urbanism Movement, he is an important resource for solutions to current problems of urban sprawl, suburban isolation, and the related problems of outsized energy consumption and an outsized share of world emissions. According to Ecological Urbanism, relentless and thoughtless development have created a way of living that brings us to a point of reckoning regarding energy, climate change and the way we shape our communities. The answer to these crises is Sustainable Development, a thoughtful combination of good Urbanism with renewable energy sources, state of the art conservation techniques, new green techlogies, and integrated services and utilities. Sustainable Urbanism, the most recent result of Calthorpe's forward thinking, provides all the inherent benefits of Urbanism amplified by a new generation of ecological design, smart grids, climate responsive buildings, electric cars, and next-generation transit systems. This clearly written (and clearly provocative) work emerges from Calthorpe's belief that, just as the last fifty years have produced massive changes in our culture, ecomy and environment, the next fifty will generate changes of an even more profound nature. The book, enhanced by its superb graphic design, is an exploration of the challenges and potential shifts in each of these arenas, and how they can affect the future of our communities.
- Author BiographyPeter Calthorpe is an architect and planner and a founding member of the Congress for New Urbanism, a Chicago-based advocacy group formed in 1992 to promote sustainable building practices. He is the author of The Regional City (Island Press, 2001). He won the 2006 Urban Land Institute's J.C. Nichols Prize for Visionaries in Urban Development for his work in walkable communities and land preservation.
- Author(s)Peter Calthorpe
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication22/07/2013
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width165 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.33Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.