All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
About this product
- DescriptionNineteenth-century England witnessed an unprecedented increase in the number of publications and institutions devoted to the creation and the dissemination of kwledge: encyclopedias, scientific periodicals, instruction manuals, scientific societies, children's literature, mechanics' institutes, museums of natural history, and lending libraries. In Useful Kwledge Alan Rauch presents a social, cultural, and literary history of this new kwledge industry and traces its relationships within nineteenth-century literature, ending with its eventual confrontation with Charles Darwin's Origin of Species. Rauch discusses both the influence and the ideology of kwledge in terms of how it affected nineteenth-century anxieties about moral responsibility and religious beliefs. Drawing on a wide array of literary, scientific, and popular works of the period, the book focusses on the growing importance of scientific kwledge and its impact on Victorian culture. From discussions of Jane Webb Loudon's The Mummy! and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, to Charlotte Bronte's The Professor, Charles Kingsley's Alton Locke, and George Eliot's Mill on the Floss, Rauch paints a fascinating picture of nineteenth-century culture and addresses issues related to the proliferation of kwledge and the moral issues of this time period. Useful Kwledge touches on social and cultural anxieties that offer both historical and contemporary insights on our ongoing preoccupation with kwledge. Useful Kwledge will appeal to readers interested in nineteenth century history, literature, culture, the mediation of kwledge, and the history of science.
- Author BiographyAlan Rauch is Associate Professor in the School of Literature, Communication, and Culture at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Author(s)Alan Rauch
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note20 illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.