Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionBeing a successful speaker of a given language involves control of the meaning and use of vocabulary items, taking in their lexical content (what phemena they refer to), combinatorial behaviour (what items they occur with) and situational characteristics (e.g. as colloquial or formal terms). This essential reference book provides clear information on these aspects for around three hundred groups of Japanese near-synyms, supplemented by a wide range of authentic examples. The result is a clear profile of the meaning and use of each item, highlighting similarities and distinctions among neighbouring terms and expanding learners' lexical range. The book is designed primarily for English-speaking learners, and the selection of groups and items and the overall treatment adopted reflects the author's extensive experience in teaching Japanese to English speakers. Japanese forms and examples appear in both romanisation and Japanese orthography, and the bilingual indexes allow readers to locate synyms quickly and easily.
- Author BiographyA. E. Backhouse is Professor Emeritus at Hokkaido University. Educated in the UK, he has taught Japanese language and linguistics at universities in Australia and Japan since 1975. He has published extensively in the fields of Japanese language and applied linguistics.
- Author(s)A. E. Backhouse
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2016
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight930 g
- Width169 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.