All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis new addition to the best-selling SIOP(R) Model series shows how to use the SIOP(R) Model with pre-K and kindergarten English learners so they can fully participate in all aspects of early schooling. Understand the young English learner and language development, learn all eight components of the SIOP Model (lesson preparation, building background, comprehensible input and strategies, interaction and lesson delivery, practice & application and review & assessment), and see how other programs have used the SIOP Model to create an optimal learning environment for their young students. * Focuses on preschool-aged children and kindergarteners-and shows how to create an effective and developmentally appropriate instructional setting for these young English learners.* Provides an overview of the SIOP Model-and explains its research support and application to early childhood programs. * Describes theyoung English learner, current demographic trends and the fundamentals of language development early in the book-to provide a context for later material (Chapters 2 and 3). * Devotes four chapters to the eight components of the SIOP Model-so educators learn how to use lesson preparation, building background, comprehensible input and strategies, interaction and lesson delivery, practice & application and review & assessment with their young English learners (Chapters 4-7). * Provides a sample lesson plan and highlightsthree sample programs-so educators can see how to implement the framework in different settings and circumstances. * Includes a comprehensive version of the SIOP protocol and an abbreviated version-so educators learn how to use the tool to observe lessons, provide feedback, and support other teachers (Chapter 9 and Appendix A).
- Author BiographyJana Echevarria is a Professor Emerita at California State University, Long Beach. She has taught in elementary, middle, and high schools in general education, special education, ESL, and bilingual programs. She has lived in Taiwan, Spain and Mexico. An internationally known expert on second language learners, Dr. Echevarria is a Fulbright Specialist. Her research and publications focus on effective instruction for English learners, including those with learning disabilities. Currently, she is Co-Principal Investigator with the Center for Research on the Educational Achievement and Teaching of English Language Learners (CREATE) funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences (IES). In 2005, Dr. Echevarria was selected as Outstanding Professor at CSULB. Deborah J. Short is a professional development consultant and a senior research associate at the Center for Applied Linguistics in Washington, DC. She co-developed the SIOP(R) Model for sheltered instruction and has directed national research studies on English language learn-ers funded by the Carnegie Corporation, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the U.S. Dept. of Education. She recently chaired an expert panel on adolescent ELL literacy. As the director of Academic Language Research & Training, Dr. Short provides professional development on sheltered instruction and academic literacy around the U.S. and abroad. She has numerous publications, including the SIOP(R) book series and five ESL textbook series for National Geographic/Hampton-Brown. She has taught English as a second/foreign language in New York, California, Virginia, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Carla Peterson is a professor in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies and the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies for the College of Human Sciences at Iowa State University. Dr. Peterson earned a Ph.D. at the University of Minnesota. She has worked in early care and education for 35 years as a teacher, administrator, teacher trainer, and researcher. She has worked in child care, Head Start, and early childhood special education settings. Her research and teaching have focused on designing interventions to meet children's individual needs within inclusive settings.
- Author(s)Carla Peterson,Deborah J. Short,Jana Echevarria
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication01/03/2011
- SubjectELT Course Materials
- Place of PublicationOld Tappan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAllyn & Bacon
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight358 g
- Width216 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine8 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.