All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first comprehensive English mograph on an outstanding 17th-century artist In the years following Caravaggio's death, the French-born painter Valentin de Boulogne (1591-1632) emerged as one of the greatest masters of naturalistic painting, demonstrating the influence of Caravaggio's style and subject matter. This book, the first complete mograph of his work in English, features more than 50 lushly illustrated paintings by Valentin, as well as numerous comparative works that help situate his oeuvre. Essays by an international team of experts explore Valentin's masterful depictions of everyday life as well as the tumult and violence of 17th-century Rome, where he lived and worked. This comprehensive survey brings to light a radical but under-recognized practitioner of realism whose powerful works prefigured the modernity of 19th-century artists such as Gustave Courbet.
- Author BiographyAnnick Lemoine is scientific director of the Festival of Art History and lecturer in art history at the University of Rennes 2. Keith Christiansen is the John Pope-Hennessy Chairman, Department of European Paintings, The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Author(s)Annick Lemoine,Jean-Pierre Cuzin,Keith Christiansen,Patrizia Cavazzini,Sebastian Allard
- PublisherMetropolitan Museum of Art
- Date of Publication04/10/2016
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMetropolitan Museum of Art
- Content Note145 color illus.
- Weight1816 g
- Width241 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.