All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $30.02Trending at AU $32.14
About this product
- DescriptionIn the diverse but related essays collected in Values and Evaluations, Julius Kovesi's central concerns are the nature of ideological thinking and the rational core of morality. It is characteristic of ideological beliefs that their truth is upheld independent of the arguments for them, he contends. He examines ideological tendencies in the Marxist tradition, in attempts to demythologize Christianity, and in modern British ethical theory. In ethics, he continues the attack on the fact/value dichotomy he began in Moral Notions, a dichotomy he thinks has ideological sources. In theology, he argues that demythologizing is really a form of remythologizing. A long study of Moses Hess's essay On the Essence of Money is used to illuminate the early thought of Marx.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Julius Kovesi grew up in prewar Hungary but left in 1949, later settling in Perth, Western Australia. He studied philosophy at Budapest University, at the University of Western Australia, and at Oxford, where he coedited Why?, a journal of philosophical parody. He made his name in philosophy in 1967 with Moral Notions, a lively attack on the then widely accepted dichotomy between fact and value. Apart from moral philosophy, his intellectual interests included Marxism, theology, and Plato. Most of his career was spent at the University of Western Australia. The author died in 1989. The Editor: Alan Tapper teaches Philosophy at Edith Cowan University in Perth, Western Australia. His research interests include eighteenth-century-intellectual history and contemporary social issues. He is author of The Family in the Welfare State, a study of Australian family policy.
- Author(s)Julius Kovesi
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2001
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies, Series 5: Philosophy
- Series Part/Volume Number183
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight350 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byAlan Tapper
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.