All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFriendship, kwledge of foreign groups, the ability to purchase milk and shoes, the scent of summer roses: of what interest is this type of information to ecomists? Sabina Alkire shows how Nobel Prize-winning ecomist Amartya Sen's capability approach can be coherently--and practically--put to work in poverty reduction activities. Sen argues that ecomic development should expand 'valuable' freedoms. Alkire probes how we identify what is valuable. Foundational issues are addressed critically--dimensions of development, practical reason, culture, basic needs--drawing on Thomist authors who give central place to authentic participation. A participatory procedure for identifying capability change is then developed. Case studies of three Oxfam activities in Pakistan--goat-rearing, female literacy, and rose cultivation--illustrate this vel approach. Valuing Freedoms will be of considerable interest to ecomists, philosophers, development practitioners, and theologians, as well as to followers of Sen's work.
- Author BiographySabina Alkire is currently a researcher with the Global Equity Initiative, Harvard University. Previously she has worked for the Commission on Human Security, coordinated the culture-poverty learning and research initiative at the World Bank, and developed participatory impact assessment methodologies with Oxfam and the Asia Foundation in Pakistan.
- Author(s)Sabina Alkire
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication17/03/2005
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleQueen Elizabeth House Series in Development Studies
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notenumerous tables
- Weight511 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $43.22Trending at AU $49.00
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.80
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.31
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $43.28Trending at AU $48.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.