All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- Description'Where am I?'. Our physical orientation in place is one of the defining characteristics of our embodied existence. However, while there is human life, culture, or action without a specific location functioning as its setting, people go much further than this bare fact in attributing meaning and value to their physical environment. 'Landscape' detes this symbolic conception and use of terrain. It is a creation of human culture. In Valuing Landscape we explore different ways in which physical environments impacted on the cultural imagination of Greco-Roman Antiquity. In seventeen chapters with different disciplinary perspectives, we demonstrate the values attached to mountains, the underworld, sacred landscapes, and battlefields, and the evaluations of locale connected with migration, exile, and travel.
- Author BiographyJeremy McInerney, Ph.D. (1992, University of California, Berkeley), is Davidson Kennedy Professor of Classical Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. He is author of The Cattle of the Sun. Cows and Culture in the World of the Ancient Greeks (Princeton 2010) and recently edited A Companion to Ethnicity in the Ancient Mediterranean (Wiley-Blackwell 2014). Ineke Sluiter, Ph.D. (1990, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam), is Professor of Greek at Leiden University. Apart from the Penn-Leiden volumes, her most recent book is, with Rita Copeland, Medieval Grammar and Rhetoric. Language Arts and Literary Theory, AD 300-1475 (Oxford 2009). Contributors are: Annemarie Ambuhl, Julie Baleriaux, Richard Buxton, Lissa Crofton-Sleigh, Masa Culumovic, Greta Hawes, Rianne Hermans, Danielle L. Kellogg, Jason Konig, Margaret M. Miles, Elizabeth Minchin, Christoph Pieper, Bettina Reitz-Joosse, Betsey A. Robinson, Christina G. Williamson, and Kathrin Winter.
- Date of Publication02/06/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleMnemosyne, Supplements
- Series Part/Volume Number393
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight891 g
- Width155 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Volume editorIneke Sluiter,Jeremy McInerney
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.