Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionVariations on Falun, a thematic anthology for the advanced German reader, contains 19th-century writings by Johann Peter Hebel, Achim von Arnim, E.T.A. Hoffmann and Hugo von Hofmannsthal. The comparative analysis provides insights into the universal nature of human experience as it is reflected in these writings about a single event: The body of a miner, buried as a result of a mining accident at Falun in Sweden, was discovered 50 years later in a totally preserved state. The texts span four genres: short short story, poem, vella, and drama. They all blend scientific interest with fascination for inexplicable occurrences involving magnetism, hypsis and symbols of dreams as reflected in the romantic tion of a mountain and its threatening subterranean spheres. The editors' introduction and selection of critical materials, foottes and questions to the texts acquaint the reader with literary contexts, the authors and their times.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Doris Starr Guilloton received an M.A. from Middlebury and a Ph.D. from New York University. She teaches in the Department of Germanic Languages and Literature and is Director of German Undergraduate Studies at New York University. She is the author of Der Begriff des Symbols in der deutschen Klassik und Romantik and has published articles on Romanticism, the Faust theme, and methodology. Agnes Domandi Langdon completed her undergraduate education in Germany, received an M.A. from Vassar College and a Ph.D. from New York University. She has taught at Vassar College, Bard College, and Colgate University. She is the author of A Library of Criticism: Modern German Literature (2 vols.) and Alternativen, a multi-option set of second-year textbooks. Professors Langdon and Guilloton are Co-authors of Deutsche Literatur von Heute.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/1992
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight200 g
- Width154 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edited byAgnes Langdon,Doris Guilloton
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.