All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does it mean to say that we live in a secular age? This apparently simple question opens into the massive, provocative, and complex A Secular Age , where Charles Taylor positions secularism as a defining feature of the modern world, t the mere absence of religion, and casts light on the experience of transcendence that scientistic explanations of the world tend to neglect. In Varieties of Secularism in a Secular Age , a prominent and varied group of scholars chart the conversations in which A Secular Age intervenes and address wider questions of secularism and secularity. The distinguished contributors include Robert Bellah, Jose Casava, Nilufer Gole, William E. Conlly, Wendy Brown, Simon During, Colin Jager, Jon Butler, Jonathan Sheehan, Akeel Bilgrami, John Milbank, and Saba Mahmood. Varieties of Secularism in a Secular Age succeeds in conveying to readers the complexity of secularism while serving as an invaluable guide to a landmark book.
- Author BiographyMichael Warner is Seymour H. Knox Professor of English and American Studies at Yale University. He is the editor of American Sermons: The Pilgrims to Martin Luther King and Fear of a Queer Planet. He also writes for The Nation, The Advocate, The Village Voice, and other periodicals. Jonathan VanAntwerpen is Director of Communications and Program Director at the Social Science Research Council. He is editor of The Immanent Frame, an SSRC blog on secularism, religion, and the public sphere. Craig Calhoun is Director of the London School of Economics. His most recent book is The Roots of Radicalism: Tradition, the Public Sphere, and Early Nineteenth-Century Social Movements.
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication05/03/2013
- SubjectAlternative Belief Systems
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight522 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byCraig Calhoun,Jonathan VanAntwerpen,Michael Warner
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.