All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRewned for his physical and psychological naturalism, Diego Rodriguez de Silva y Velazquez (1599-1660) is considered one of the greatest painters to have ever lived. Official court painter to King Philip IV (1605-1665), he created astounding effects of illusion in his minimalist and elegantly composed works--which range from genre and history scenes to portraits. His paintings had an ermous impact on 19th- and early-20th-century artists such as Degas, Reir, and Picasso, and Manet famously first described him as the painter's painter. With over 150 illustrations and an in-depth chrology, this beautifully produced and comprehensive book surveys Velazquez's entire career and explores his universal popularity. Fascinating essays by world-class Velazquez scholars address the artist's life and technique, examining his studies in Seville and Italy to his final great works at the court of Philip IV. They also place his works in the context of 17th-century European painting and discuss how and why his works have resonated so strongly with the generations of Post-Impressionist and modernist artists.
- Author BiographyDawson Carr is Curator of Later Italian and Spanish Painting at the National Gallery, London. Xavier Bray is Assistant Curator of 17th- and 18th-Century Paintings and Larry Keith is Senior Conservator, both at the National Gallery, London. Sir John H. Elliott is Regius Professor Emeritus of Modern History at the University of Oxford. Gabriele Finaldi is Director of Conservation and Research at the Museo Nacional del Prado. Giorgia Mancini and Simona Di Nepi are Curatorial Assistants at the National Gallery, London. Javier Portus Perez is Curator at the Museo Nacional del Prado. Wolfgang Prohaska is Curator of Baroque Painting at the Kunsthistoriches Museum, Vienna.
- Author(s)Dawson W. Carr,Gabriele Finaldi,Giorgia Mancini,J. H. Elliott,Javier Portus Perez,Larry Keith,Simona Di Nepi,Wolfgang Prohaska,Xavier Bray
- PublisherNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Date of Publication13/10/2006
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Content Note160 colour illustrations
- Weight1791 g
- Width247 mm
- Height298 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.