All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMemory's images, once they are fixed in words, are erased, Marco Polo said. Perhaps I am afraid of losing Venice all at once, if I speak of it, or perhaps, speaking of other cities, I have already lost it, little by little. -- Italo Calvi, Invisible Cities Venice, 'La Serenissima', is one of the most breathtaking cities in the world. A floating labyrinth; the world's greatest museum, frozen in time; a cultural jewel, slowly sinking into the lagoon from which it rose; tourist-trap, irresistible muse. From its earliest beginnings in the 7th century, Venice has been a magnetic centre of trade and culture, wealth and power and has acted as a crossroads for an array of religious pilgrims and refugees, diplomats, crusading armies and merchants. Later, its fabled beauty and reputation as a haven for freedom of expression seduced some of the most celebrated figures in history: artists such as Durer, Bellini and Turner; writers Dickens, Byron, Kafka, Poe, Rousseau, Thomas Mann, Ruskin and Ezra Pound and composers Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Verdi and Stravinsky.In this riveting guide to literary Venice, the author uncovers the city's myriad secrets, revealing how every floating palace, gilded church and bustling square is imbued with the lives and creations of those who were inspired by the city, which still echoes with their voices.
- Author BiographyMarie-Jose Gransard teaches a course, 'Venice in Literature', in Cannaregio and conducts tours of the city. She has worked with Hilary Spurling on her biography of Matisse and with Anthony Holden for his biography of Lorenzo da Ponte. She divides her time between Venice and London.
- Author(s)Marie-Jose Gransard
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/01/2016
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleLiterary Guides for Travellers
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 bw integrated, 8 maps
- Weight454 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.