All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book reprints for the first time since the 1850s three short works by George Thompson (1823--c. 1873), one of antebellum America's most successful and prolific authors of sensational fiction. Beginning in the 1840s, he wrote stories for sporting papers like Life in Boston and New York, edited the humorous New York weekly The Broadway Belle, and contributed regularly to the sexually explicit Venus' Miscellany. He also published dozens of vels, most of which were set in Northeastern cities. His writing blends entertainment and social protest, combining commentary on such issues as urbanization, poverty, race, and class with some of the era's most shocking depictions of sex and violence. The three works in this volume offer a rich representative sample of Thompson's writing. The two vels -- Venus in Boston and City Crimes -- depict the American city as a place of dark mystery, bawdy humor, and near-universal corruption peopled with con artists and criminals of all kinds. In each vel, a complex narrative structure interweaves multiple stories of exploited labor, abuse of power, seduction, intrigue, and crime. Thompson's autobiography, My Life, presents the author's life in terms nearly as lively as his fiction. Thompson's zestful, unconventional writings fly in the face of the stereotypical view of Victorian America as straitlaced and sentimental. Ideal for use as a classroom text, this new edition includes a scholarly introduction and an extensive bibliography.
- Author BiographyDAVID S. REYNOLDS is Distinguished Professor of English at Baruch College, CUNY. His many books include Walt Whitman's America: A Cultural Biography. KIMBERLY R. GLADMAN teaches English at New York University.
- Author(s)George Thompson
- PublisherUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2002
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Content Note6 illustrations, bibliography
- Height230 mm
- Volume editorDavid S. Reynolds,Kimberly R. Gladman
- Introduction byDavid S. Reynolds,Kimberly R. Gladman
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $14.24Trending at AU $14.43
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $72.58Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.23Trending at AU $24.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.