Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b> [A] shimmering and rather wonderful biography. <i>The Guardian</i>(London)</b> When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she had ruled for nearly sixty-four years. She was the mother of nine and grandmother of forty-two and the matriarch of royal Europe through her children s marriages. To many, Queen Victoria is a ruler shrouded in myth and mystique, an aging, stiff widow paraded as the figurehead to an all-male imperial enterprise. But in truth, Britain s longest-reigning monarch was one of the most passionate, expressive, humorous, and unconventional women who ever lived, and the story of her life continues to fascinate. A. N. Wilson s exhaustively researched and definitive biography includes a wealth of new material from previously unseen sources to show us Queen Victoria as she s never been seen before. Wilson explores the curious set of circumstances that led to Victoria s coronation, her strange and isolated childhood, her passionate marriage to Prince Albert and his pivotal influence even after death, and her widowhood and subsequent intimate friendship with her Highland servant John Brown, all set against the backdrop of this momentous epoch in Britain s history and the world s. Born at the very moment of the expansion of British political and commercial power across the globe, Victoria went on to chart a unique course for her country even as she became the matriarch of nearly every great dynasty of Europe. Her destiny was thus interwoven with those of millions of people t just in Europe but in the ever-expanding empire that Britain was becoming throughout the nineteenth century. The famed queen had a face that adorned postage stamps, banners, statues, and busts all over the kwn world. Wilson s<i>Victoria</i>is a towering achievement, a masterpiece of biography by a writer at the height of his powers. *<b>VICTORIA</b>, an eight part miniseries about Queen Victoria is coming to PBS in the Downton Abbey slot, premiering <b>January 8th </b>(trailer). The series stars Jenna Coleman (DR. WHO) as Queen Victoria, Rufus Sewell (PILLARS OF THE EARTH), and Tom Hughes (ABOUT TIME).*
- Author Biography<b>A.N. Wilson</b> is the author of biographies on Jesus, Milton, Tolstoy, C.S. Lewis, and Dante. His acclaimedhistoriesThe VictoriansandGod s Funeralhave made himan authority on Victorian-era Great Britain. A contributor to a number of British newspapers, he lives in London.
- Author(s)A N Wilson
- PublisherPenguin Books
- Date of Publication24/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Royalty
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Books
- Weight526 g
- Width96 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.