All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA #1 international bestseller reminiscent of the works of Roberto Bola, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and Edward Rutherford-a page-turning historical epic, set in early eighteenth-century Spain, about a military mastermind whose betrayal ultimately leads to the conquest of Barcelona, from the globally popular Catalonian writer Albert Sanchez Pil. Why do the weak fight against the strong? At 98, Marti Zuviria ponders this question as he begins to tell the extraordinary tale of Catalonia and its annexation in 1714. No one kws the truth of the story better, for Marti was the very villain who betrayed the city he was commended to keep. The story of Catalonia and Barcelona is also Marti's story. A prestigious military engineer in the early 1700s, he fought on both sides of the long War of the Spanish Succession between the Two Crowns-France and Spain-and aided an Allied enemy in resisting the consolidation of those two powers. Politically ambitious yet morally weak, Marti carefully navigates a sea of Machiavellian intrigue, eventually rising to a position of power that he will use for his own mercenary ends. A sweeping tale of heroism, treason, war, love, pride, and regret that culminates in the tragic fall of a legendary city, illustrated with battle diagrams, portraits of political figures, and priceless maps of the old city of Barcelona, Victus is a magnificent literary achievement that is sure to be hailed as an instant classic.
- Author BiographyAlbert Sanchez Pinol is a bestselling international author. His books have been translated into thirty-seven languages worldwide. He is an anthropologist by training and a writer by profession, and his works are well researched and historically illuminating. Victus is his fourth novel. He lives in Barcelona, Spain.
- Author(s)Albert Sanchez Pinol,Daniel Hahn,Thomas Bunstead
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication09/10/2014
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight734 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsRough front
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $72.58Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.