All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.19
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionDuring his twenty-year tenure as a columnist for Viet Nam News, Ha Noi's English-language newspaper, Huu Ngoc charmed and invigorated an international readership hungry for straightforward but elegant entrees into understanding Vietnamese culture. The essays were originally collected in the massive Wandering through Vietnamese Culture. With Viet Nam: Tradition and Change, Ohio University Press presents a selection from these many treasures, which are perfectly suited to students of Vietnamese culture and travelers seeking an introduction to the country's rich history, culture, and daily life. With extraordinary linguistic ability and a prodigious memory, Huu Ngoc is among Viet Nam's keenest observers of and writers about traditional Vietnamese culture and recent history. The author's central theme-that all tradition is change through acculturation-twines through each of the book's ten sections, which contain Huu Ngoc's ideas on Vietnamese religion, literature, history, exemplary figures, and more. Taken on its own, each brief essay is an engaging discussion of key elements of Vietnamese culture and the history of an issue confronting Viet Nam today.
- Author BiographyHuu Ngoc (1918-) is retired director of Viet Nam's foreign languages publishing house and editor of Vietnamese Studies, Ha Noi's semi-scholarly quarterly published since 1964. His Sunday newspaper columns remain reader favorites. During the past twenty years, Huu Ngoc's lecture, 3,000 Years of Vietnamese History in One Hour, has entranced 20,000 foreign visitors to Viet Nam.
- Author(s)Huu Ngoc
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleOhio RIS Southeast Asia Series
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Monographs in International Studies
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byElizabeth Fuller Collins,Lady Borton
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.