All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Vikings descended upon Europe at the close of the 8th century, invading the continent's western seas and river systems, trading, raiding and spreading terror. In the rth, they settled Iceland and Greenland and reached North America. In the east, Swedish Varangians established a river road to the Orient. With the collapse of the Viking commercial empire, Sweden and the other Scandinavian countries struggled to survive, their hardships exacerbated by internal strife, foreign domination and the Black Death. This book details the development of Scandinavia-Sweden in particular-from the end of the Ice Age, through a series of prehistoric cultures, the Bronze and Iron ages, to the Viking period and late Middle Ages. Recent research suggests a Swedish origin of the Goths, who helped dismember the Roman Empire, and evidence of Swedish participation in the western Viking expeditions. Special attention is given to Eastern Europe, where Sweden dominated commerce through the conquest of trade towns and the river systems of Russia.
- Author BiographyGary Dean Peterson is an independent scholar and writer whose published works include magazine articles and two books. He is a retired engineer living in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
- Author(s)Gary Dean Peterson
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication10/06/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.42
- AU $37.39Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.79
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.20
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.