All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVillains of All Nations is a people's history of piracy--a history that emphasizes how common seamen who turned pirate built for themselves a multicultural, democratic and egalitarian society. This vivid social history of Atlantic piracy focuses on its colorful Golden Age, from 1716 to 1726, the age of the dreaded black flag, the Jolly Roger, as well as swashbuckling figures such as Edward Teach, better kwn, of course, as Blackbeard. These outcasts of all nations imagined--and succeeded in forging--a better world than they had found on the merchant and naval ships on which they had previously worked: they democratically elected their officers, divided their booty in egalitarian way, and fought against the common vicious abuse of sailors. The historical truth about what pirates actually did proves more compelling than the romantic fiction that has grown up around them.
- Author BiographyMARCUS REDIKER is Distinguished Professor of Atlantic History at the University of Pittsburgh. His other books include The Many-Headed Hydra, written with Peter Linebaugh, and The Slave Ship: A Human History. He lives in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia.
- Author(s)Marcus Rediker
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication05/11/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Width129 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $105.99Trending at AU $107.61
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.04
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.