Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.12
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
About this product
- DescriptionThe legendary musicologist Hans Keller described his friend and colleague Deryck Cooke as 'one of our time's two or three major analytic intellects'. The posthumous collection of his writings which comprises Vindications , published by Faber in 1982, was selected both from Cooke's published and unpublished articles and from his many radio talks. His was a constantly enquiring mind, and the subjects of the essays range widely: from the four composers Cooke cared for most passionately - Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler and Delius - to a justification of the Lenn-McCartney songs (a superb piece of -nsense analysis) and an illuminating radio talk on Wuthering Heights.His insights always offer new perspectives, while the longest essay in the book, The Unity of Beethoven's Late Quartets , puts forward an important and cogent theory which challenges most accepted views of these great works. Deryck Cooke's sadly early death, at the age of 57, deprived us of one of the century's major thinkers about music, who still had much to offer. With a moving and informative Foreword by the writer and broadcaster, Brian Magee, Vindications stands alongside Cooke's The Language of Music as a major contribution to musical literature.
- Author BiographyDeryck Cooke (1919-1976) was a distinguished musicologist, and a composer and author, notably of the ground-breaking The Language of Music (OUP 1959). After studying at Cambridge University, most of his career was spent as a senior producer for the BBC's music department. His lasting memorial is the performing version of the unfinished draft of Mahler's 10th Symphony, which received its first performance at the 1964 Proms and has subsequently become firmly established in the repertoire.
- Author(s)Deryck Cooke
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication21/08/2008
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight280 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.